Michael Yapko, Ph.D.
Michael D. Yapko, Ph.D., is a clinical psychologist residing in Southern California. He is internationally recognized for his work in advancing clinical hypnosis and outcome-focused psychotherapy, routinely teaching to professional audiences all over the world. To date, he has been invited to present his ideas and methods to colleagues in more than 30 countries across six continents, and all over the United States. His presentations are well known for being practical as well as enjoyable. Dr. Yapko has had a special interest for more than four decades in the intricacies of brief therapy, and the clinical applications of hypnosis and directive methods. He is the author of 16 books and editor of three others, as well as numerous book chapters and articles on the subjects of hypnosis and the use of strategic psychotherapies.
Dr. Yapko is the author of the leading text in the field of hypnosis called Trancework: An Introduction to the Practice of Clinical Hypnosis, now in its 5th edition. This will be a foundation for his first webinar. His newest book, Process-Oriented Hypnosis: Focusing on the Forest, Not the Trees (W.W. Norton, 2021), is the subject of his second presentation. It was awarded the Arthur Shapiro Award for being the “Best Book on Hypnosis in 2021” by the Society for Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis. His other books include Taking Hypnosis to the Next Level, The Discriminating Therapist, and Mindfulness and Hypnosis: The Power of Suggestion to Transform Experience. His works have been translated into ten languages. More information about Dr. Yapko’s teaching schedule and publications can be found on his website: www.yapko.com.
Dr. Yapko is the recipient of numerous major awards for his innovative contributions in advancing the fields of hypnosis and brief therapy, including lifetime achievement awards from The American Psychological Association’s Division 30 (Society of Psychological Hypnosis), the International Society of Hypnosis (the Pierre Janet Award), and The Milton H. Erickson Foundation.
SUMMARY OF CURRENT POSITIONS
- Clinical psychologist and marriage and family therapist (licensed in California).
- National and international trainer (more than 30 countries) in hypnosis and strategic approaches to psychotherapy.
- Author, numerous books, book chapters and articles regarding psychotherapy; Works have been translated into 10 languages (French, German, Polish, Russian, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Portugese, Dutch, and Chinese).
- Content provider and advisor to the self-help phone app Mindset (www.mindsethealth.com).
- Director, The Milton H. Erickson Institute of San Diego.
- Member, Board of Advisory Editors, American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis.
- Member, Board of Editorial Consultants, International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis.FORMAL EDUCATION
Doctoral: Ph.D. in Professional Psychology, Clinical Specialization,
United States International University, San Diego (1980).
Masters: M.A. in Psychology, United States International University, San Diego (1978).
Bachelors: B.A. in Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (1976).
Received academic class honors.PROFESSIONAL HISTORY
1985-present: Providing clinical trainings to health professionals all over the world on a
variety of subjects relating to hypnosis and brief therapy methods. As of March, 2022,
conducted workshops in over 30 countries on six continents and in 39 states across
1979-2007: Private clinical practice.